- Definition- OBCs for purposes of reservations would comprise of the castes and communities which are commonly mentioned in both the lists in the Mandal Commission Report and the State Governments lists. A list of such common categories has been brought out by the Ministry of Welfare. However, from this list, certain persons/sections will be excluded. The rest will be entitled for reservation.
- Reservation for the SCs, STs and OBCs in Autonomous Bodies/ Institutions, etc- All the Ministries/Departments, etc, are requested to ensure that suitable provisions of reservation for SCs, STs and OBCs are made in the statutes/ Articles of Association of all the Autonomous Bodies/ Institutions un them and such provisions are implemented scrupulously.
- Certificate- Any candidate claiming to belong to the OBC should obtain a certificate in the prescribed form signed by any of the specified authorities. No other certificate will be accepted. The authority should also certify that the candidate does not belong to any one of the Creamy Layers.
Revision of Income Criteria for Creamy Layer- It has been decided to raise the income limit form Rs. 6 Lakhs to Rs. 8 Lakhs p.a. for determining Creamy Layer amongs the other backward classes. This limit takes effect from 01-09-2017.
Condition to be added in the appointment order- The appointment order should state that the offer of appointment is subject to verification of OBC certificate and if the verification reveals that the claim is false, the services will be terminated forthwith without assigning any further reasons.
- Reservations only in direct recruitment- 27% in civil post/services are reserved for OBCs. No reservation in promotions.
- Sub-Quota of 4.5% for Minorities with effect from 01-01-2012- It has been decided to carve out a sub-quota of 4.5% for Minorities as defined under Section 2(C) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992, from within the 27% reservation for OBCs in Government employment.
Exemptions- Scientific /Technical posts for conducting, organizing, guiding and directing research, which are above the lowest Group ‘A’ Grade are exempted from the purview of reservation.
- Relaxations and concessions-
- Age limit for direct recruitment- Three years, for all posts.
- Meritorious candidates not to be adjusted against reservation- OBC candidate recruited on the basis of merit on the same standards as for general candidate will not be adjusted against the 27% reservation.
- Minimum Standard in examination/interview- In respect of written examination/interview for direct recruitment, relaxation of standards will be allowed for OBC candidates as in the case of SC/ST.
- Liaison Officers- Deputy Secretary-in-charge of Administration or an officer of equivalent rank in each Ministry/Department Attached and Subordinate Offices will be appointed as Liaison Officer separately to look after the work relating to matters of reservation for OBCs.