Government of lndia
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
Procurement Policy Division
512, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi
Dated the 12th November 2O2O
Subject: Performance Security.
As per Rule 171 of General Financial Rules (GFRs) 2017, Performance Security is to be obtained from the successful bidder awarded the contract for an amount of five to ten percent of the value of the contract to ensure due performance of the contract. Similar provisions also exist in the Manual for Procurement of Works 2019 and Manual for Procurement of Consultancy & other Services 2017 issued by this Department.
2. The Government is in receipt of many representations that on account of slowdown in economy due to the pandemic, there is acute financial crunch among many commercial entities and contractors, which in turn is affecting timely execution of the contracts. lt has also been represented that this may affect the ability of contractors to bid in tenders and hence reduce competition. Requests are being received for reduction in quantum of Security Deposits in the Government contracts.
3. ln view of all above, it is decided to reduce Performance Security from existing 5-10 o/o to 3o/o of the value of the contract for all existing contracts. However, the benefit of the reduced Performance Security will not be given in the contracts under dispute wherein arbitration/ court proceedings have been already started or are contemplated.
4. Further, all tenders/ contracts issued/ concluded ti]l 31 .12.2021 should also have the provision of reduced Performance Security. 5. ln all contracts where Performance Security has been reduced to 3% in view of above stipulations, the reduced percentage of Performance Security shall continue for the entire duration of the contract and there should be no subsequent increase of Performance Security even beyond 31.12.2021. Similarly, in all contracts entered into with the reduced percentage of Performance Security of 3%, there will be no subsequent increase in Performdnce Security even beyond 31 .12.2021.
6. Wherever, there is compelling circumstances to ask for Performance Security in excess of three percent as stipulated above, the same should be done only with the approval of the next higher authority to the authority competent to finalise the particular tender, or the Secretary of the Ministry/ Department, whichever is lower. Specific reasons justifying the exception shall be recorded.
7. These instructions will be applicable for all kinds of procurements viz. Goods, Consultancy, Works, non-consulting Services etc and are issued under Rule 6(1) of the GFRs 2017.
(Kotluru Narayan Reddy)
Deputy Secretary to the Govt. of lndia
Email: kn. reddy@gov. in
Allthe Secretaries and FinancialAdvisers to Government of !ndia
Copy to: Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises with a request to issue the same instructions to Central Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs).